1909 update stuck at 46%

20 minutes ago, started the 1909 update of my Win10 OS. The thing is stuck at 46% and I can see that it won’t move at all. However, now I tried to close it but it refuses to stop the process. What would be the most painless way to stop an Win10 update?

4 Likes

Hi @Brad

Navigate to:
Services > Windows Update

1. In the startup types > select Disabled
  2. Click Stop
  3. Click apply
  4. OK
  5. The restart your pc

2 Likes

Hi @Brad,

How you are trying to update your PC. Is this windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade or windows 10 version upgrade? First I would suggest to be patient and wait for a few hours if windows couldn’t able to upgrade it will automatically revert the update process which will not have any causes to your OS or application. If you loose patient You could force shut down the PC but Any interruption would bring damage to your operating system. Like

• Computer hard drive won’t boot, displaying an entirely black screen with or without a cursor on it.
  • Blue screen of death with error messages appearing to say your operating system is not found or system files have been corrupted.
2 Likes

Would you mind to try Media Creation Tool 1909.exe app and let us know?

Hello @Brad
Welcome to community :bouquet:
This is the most comman problem in updating windows update
I hope this link will help you created by Microsoft
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-fall-creators-update-stuck-at-46/942e549b-0649-4a61-991f-0bf559821756

I would suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Windows update troubleshooter

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar and open it.

2. Click on " view all " on the left pane.

3. Run the " windows update " troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Reset Windows update components

Click the link below for steps to reset windows update components and check if the issue persists.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

Registry disclaimer:

This section, method, or task contains steps that tells you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For steps to backup your registry, please click the link below
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows - Microsoft Support (Applies to Windows 10)

If this doesn’t help, I would suggest you to place your computer in clean boot state and try installing the update and check if it helps.

Method 3: Clean Boot

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.
How to Perform a Clean Boot? (Applies to Windows 10)

Note: Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps in " How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot "to reset computer as usual.

4 Likes

I had the same issue on one of my PC this week. But the below troubleshooting steps helps me solved this issue. If none of the above instruction was helpful please try the below suggestion also. For my PC I had to reset the Windows Update components and restart the PC.

1. Launch Command Prompt as an administrator.

2. Type these commands one after another:
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    net stop AppIDSvc
    Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver
    net start AppIDSvc

3. Restart your computer

4 Likes
  1. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Check if version of Windows 10 you are trying to upgrade meets the criteria in your computer for running Windows 10.

2. DISK SPACE
    Make sure you have enough space on your computer C:Drive or the drive you have Windows installed on.

3. FAULTY RAM
    Make sure you do not have any faulty RAM on your device.

4. CHECK INTERNET
    During the upgrade process make sure you are connected to internet. (this steps only required if your Windows upgrade fails, normally you do not requires internet to perform upgrade)

5. BATTERY PLUGGED
    If you are using Laptop or Tablet make sure you are using AC Power.

6. REMOVE EXTERNAL PERIPHERALS
    Remove any external drives connected to your device you make connect them later.

7. WINDOWS UPDATE TROUBLESHOOTER
    Windows 10 have a troubleshooter which will help you find and solve the problem for the failing of Windows upgrade. Perform the Windows update troubleshooter it may solve the problem.

8. RESET WINDOWS UPDATE COMPONENT
    Reset the Windows update component by the steps suggested by @tjnihal here
    1909 update stuck at 46% - #7 by tjnihal

9. UPDATE DRIVERS
    Make sure all the drives in your device is upto date.

10. SFC SCAN
    Open the Command Prompt with admin rights again and give the below command.
    sfc /scannow

11. CLEAN BOOT
    Performing a clean boot may help you find the problem and easy the process of Windows 10 upgrade. Follow steps suggested by <> to perform clean boot.

12. UNINSTALL THIRD-PARTY APPS
    If you are thinking any of your Application could causing the problem then install all the thrid party software you are suspecting on your device and try again to upgrade the PC.

All of the above are very helpful steps, anyone of the these will help you resolve your Windows update stuck issue.

Thanks

Indeed, not only Windows 10 1909 update, there are instances where the progress of the Windows 10 22H2 update can halt at 46%. Such an occurrence may be attributed to several factors, including:

• A corrupted download file.
  • Issues pertaining to the internet connection.
  • Conflicts arising from antivirus software.
  • Problems within the hardware.

Should your Windows 10 22H2 update become stuck at the 46% mark, consider attempting the subsequent steps for resolution:

• Execute the Windows Update troubleshooter, as it is adept at identifying and rectifying obstacles hindering the update’s installation.
  • Create additional storage space on your hard drive, as a minimum of 10GB free space is essential for the update.
  • Temporarily deactivate your antivirus software, given that certain antivirus programs may impede the progress of Windows updates.
  • Initiate a clean boot, a process that commences your computer with minimal drivers and programs. This procedure can be instrumental in identifying software conflicts responsible for the issue.
  • Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. By doing so, Windows will be compelled to procure a fresh copy of the update files.
  • Resort to the Windows Update Assistant, a tool designed to facilitate the installation of updates, even in situations where they are stalled.