Text is missing in file explorer after Windows 10 Upgrade

I am using Windows 10 1709 on my PC, I planned to upgrade to the next available version Windows 10 1803 and as well as all the recommended Windows updates by Microsoft. After the updates finished and my computer restarted, I noticed that no text appears in File Explorer anymore. When I right-click some things, some text is also missing, but not all of it. All of the options in the right-click menu still work when I press them, there’s just no text identifying what that option.

But the strange thing is text is missing only on some programs. When I use Firefox, everything works fine, including right-click menus. When I use Microsoft Edge, there is no text in the right-click menu when I right-click the top menu tab, but the text appears when I right-click links in the main window.

If anyone has any idea please let me know

2 Likes

Perform clean boot

Clean boot is the best way to find the route cause for your problem. After performing clean boot see if that brought back all the text during the clean boot. If so, then there is some conflict with, I’m assuming a driver, that is causing this. I would either look online for other people with the same issue and see what they did, or uninstalling drivers, restarting the computer and seeing if the text came back.

Clean boot will enable the PC to start with only a minimal set of drivers and programs. This way, you will know if any third party application is leading to the error. Please follow the below steps to perform clean boot:

Type msconfig in search or press Windows Key + R and type msconfig

• In the System Configuration dialog box and under the Services tab, select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.hide all microsoft services
  • Click on Disable all.
  • Next, select the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager.
  • In Task Manager, you will get to see a list of startup items relevant to your PC. Select each and click Disable.disable startup programs
  • Close Task Manager after you are done with each startup item.
  • Click on OK to close the System Configuration dialog box.
  • Re-start your PC.

After the restart your PC will boot in what is called the clean boot environment where all third party programs are disabled. If you get the same error when there is a problem laying in your Windows I would suggest better to reinstall your Windows OS.

Perform SFC scan

SFC scan performs a scan of all the system files and will make necessary amendments as deemed fit. That makes it extremely fit to deal with unhandled exception errors. Here is how to perform sfc scan.

Type CMD in search or press Windows Key + R and Type CMD and enter

In the Command prompt window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
It might take a few second for the scan to complete. Wait patiently till it shows 100% scan is complete.

Let us know if the above steps was helpful. :grinning:

4 Likes

Hi @Evans, Did @tjnihal suggestion solved your issue?

If Clean boot or SFC scan wasn’t helpful then run the below commands in cmd maybe this may solve your problem.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

1 Like