Windows 10 Home upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Clean installation question

Hi,

I have a HP Pro Tower PC, Which was purchased with Windows 10 Home version 1909 around 6 month back, after a while I upgraded Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro through Microsoft Store.

After a recent update this PC is frequently getting a Blue Screen of Dead (BSOD) with multiple error like below:

Cycling every boot. Once the login screen appears, in about 30 secs to a min, it crashes again. Now I have been thinking to install the fresh Windows 10 OS on my PC but worried about below question.

• What OS should I install Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro? (Because this PC was purchased with Home version)
  • Can I directly install Windows 10 Pro or Should have to install Home and upgrade to Pro After?
  • What happen to my Windows 10 Home and Pro activation?

Thanks

7 Likes

Hi @Kendrick,

Good decision to clean install Windows 10 to resolve the above issues. You have raised the good Windows 10 License question please check my answer below:

What OS should I install Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro? (Because this PC was purchased with Home version)

Since you have already upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. You are fine to start your installation with Windows 10 Pro and not with the home.

Can I directly install Windows 10 Pro or Should have to install Home and upgrade to Pro After?

Yes, You should install Windows 10 Pro. Microsoft server has already converted your license from Home to Pro and link your device information along with the license key.

** What happened to my Windows 10 Home and Pro activation?*

Your License key has already upgraded to Pro version from Home after the purchase. Once you clean install Windows 10 run the Windows 10 Activation troubleshooter this will automatically activate the Windows 10 digital license in your PC.

If you are worried about the License key. Best practice as per Microsoft is link your Windows 10 Digital license to any of your Microsoft Account. To follow this log in your PC with any of your Microsoft Account will automatically grab all your PC information plus your license details to your Microsoft Account.

A scenario like this or if you PC dead due to some reasons. On those times you may install the New Windows 10 OS and login with your Microsoft Account this will automatically activate Windows 10 Digital license without any of your interaction.

I hope this helps.
Nihal

9 Likes