Windows 10 System Interrupts get 100% CPU

Hello All,

I have an HP Laptop with i3 Processor and 8GB of RAM and 1TB HDD. I never had any issue but since last week my laptop is hitting 100% CPU utilization and when I log in and checked the system, hangs or freezes on task manager or any other applications. I have disabled the background apps, Removed bit defender security tools, there we no recent updates, checked for all the hardware updates, Room temperature is normal as usual.

Please check the below image. My laptop interrupt service come close up to 100% CPU

Troubleshooting Step I followed:

1. Installed the latest update to windows 10
  2. Installed the latest update to all the drivers
  3. Performed system restore

But none of the above was helpful

please help

Thanks again

2 Likes

Hi @Banning,

First I would suggest you to run System File Checker scan in your Laptop:

• Search for ‘command prompt’ using Cortana or Windows Search.

• From results, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

• Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.

• Let the command completely and then reboot the machine.

If the above not solved your issue try to run Windows Defragment in your Laptop.

Please follow the below steps:

• Select the search bar on the taskbar and enter defrag.
  • Select Defragment and Optimize Drives.
  • Select the disk drive you want to optimize.

Select the Optimize button.

Check if performing the above steps solve your issue. I will appreciate if you let us know the result if the above was not helpful so that we can guide you with more troubleshooting steps.

3 Likes

Windows 10 most of the App running in the background which is not required most of the time for the users. So, try to disable non-usable or all the App which is running in the background and see if this resolve your problem.

Disable background App:

Open Start > Settings > Privacy > Background apps
Disable all Background apps.

Run DISM check:

From an [ elevated command prompt ]

You can run Check, then Scan, but you should always run RESTORE HEALTH

To check the health (You would use /CheckHealth to only check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted)

• run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

• run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

• Use DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

This generally takes 15-30 minutes depending on the corruption and size of the partition

4 Likes

Thanks @tjnihal and @Aaron for the response. I will check and let you know the result.

1 Like

The System Interrupts process also referred as 'Interrupts. ’ System interrupts are a component of Microsoft Windows operating systems and which often you can see running in Task Manager. It is not like many other processes that run in the background - System Interrupts occurs below the operating system level and is not associated with any particular process.

Although the word ‘System interrupt’ does not appropriate definition for smooth communication, hardware interrupts are a normal way for hardware and the CPU to communicate. Like for example, any hardware components on your computer, it can be a keyboards or a printers require attention and monitoring as with most running processes, however, but not all CPU resources are dedicated to monitoring signals from any one particular hardware component. Interruption signals are sent to the CPU, and if a system interrupt has a higher priority than the process currently being serviced, the CPU suspends the current process, deals with the higher priority for system interrupt, and then resumes the original process.

This may sound complicated to you, but it is straightforward. There are many other process process happening rapidly in normal operation like system interrupts in the Windows. The System Interrupts process should not use more than 5% of the CPU power, however, some users have reported that the excessive CPU usage of this process is the major reason by System Interrupts which usually means that your hardware driver is not working properly or there is maybe an issue with the hardware itself.

The below suggestion given by @tjnihal will help you sort this problem. Please follow his suggestion and let us know.