Backup files in case MacBook won’t boot

Is there a way to backup files in case MacBook won’t boot? I have an entire disk that I want saved from the dying PC. What are my options right now, how can I get these files to be saved on the external hard drive?

in order to do that, you must either have a working macbook to enter the recovery mode and transfer whole things to hdd.
I would suggest you to the nearest local repair store, I believe they would done it in a blink of eye as they suppose to have the proper one.

Hello, there is defiantly options to make backup files.
Start by connecting to external drive.
After you connect your storage device, you can move files from your Mac to the storage device or from your storage device to your Mac.
Move files to or from an external storage device

1. Make sure your Mac is connected to the external storage device (for example, using a USB cable or over a network).

2. Click the Finder icon in the Dock to open a Finder window, then do one of the following to move your files.

Move files to the storage device:* Select one or more files on the desktop or in a folder, then drag them to the storage device, listed below Locations in the Finder Sidebar.

Move files from the storage device:* Select the storage device, listed below Locations in the Finder sidebar, then drag the files you want to a location on your Mac.

Hope this helps.