BT home hub VPN client

I want to run a VPN client on my PC when on holiday so I can access my home PC. There doesn’t appear to be one, but I am assuming there must be.
I normally use a Cisco VPN for my work network, so not sure what to do?

Hello
Which router do you have at home. If your router has this function you can run PPTP, L2TP or IpSec vpns. L2Tp and IPSEC are secured

Hi @DennisSilverston98,

In order to access your home PC from your outside network you need to first configure a VPN server in your existing device or you can buy a VPN supported routers if your existing router doesn’t offer VPN feature.

Second option:
Windows has the built-in ability to function as VPN server using the point-to-point tunneling protocol (PPTP), although this option is somewhat hidden. Here’s how to find it and set up your VPN server. If you have windows 10 then please refer this article How to create a VPN server on Your Windows Computer Without Installing Any Software.

Hope this helps if you have any queries let me know.

Thanks for replies

It is a BT badged router (I don’t think they have model numbers).

I have Teamviewer on my PC I can use, but wanted to connect via a VPN client so I am on the LAN and can connect to any device remotely.
It doesn’t support VPN client - server, so I will need to put a VPN host on my PC.

1 Like

You also can use Port Forwarding to access remote desktop connection from outside, but it is less secure than VPN