Cannot create backup copies

I have issues with Time Machine on iMac 27", macOS. The thing is, I cannot create copies on backup and nothing I do worked. It shows as if files are uploaded but by the end, no files are actually stored online. What might be the cause as I did not do any updates on the system and it worked well before?

Hey there!
The problem could be that your storage might be full, no space for new ones to safe

This is an old thread, but I think this is one of the most common issues some Mac users face still in 2023. So, I hope this will be helpful for anyone who are looking to solve this issue:

1. Check Backup Disk: Start by ensuring that your backup disk for Time Machine is properly connected and accessible. Sometimes, a loose connection or a disk issue can lead to failed backups.
  2. Available Space: Verify that the backup disk has sufficient free space to accommodate the backup. Time Machine requires ample space to create backups.
  3. Backup Drive Format: Ensure that the format of the backup drive is compatible with macOS. Time Machine typically works well with drives formatted in macOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.
  4. Drive Repair: Use macOS’s built-in Disk Utility to check and repair any disk errors on the backup drive. Sometimes, disk errors can prevent successful backups.
  5. Time Machine Preferences: Open Time Machine preferences from System Preferences. Check if the backup disk is selected correctly. You can also try removing the disk from the preferences and adding it back.
  6. Exclude Problematic Files: If you suspect a particular file or folder is causing issues, you can exclude it from Time Machine backups. Go to Time Machine preferences, click “Options,” and add the file or folder to the exclusion list.
  7. Restart Time Machine: Sometimes, restarting the Time Machine service can resolve issues. You can do this by turning Time Machine off and then back on in Time Machine preferences.
  8. Check for Errors: Launch the Console application in the Utilities folder within the Applications directory. Search for any error messages related to Time Machine. These messages may offer insights into the root cause of the issue
  9. Update macOS: Although you mentioned no updates, it’s still a good idea to check if any macOS updates are available. Sometimes, updating your system can resolve compatibility issues.
  10. Third-Party Software: Review whether any recently installed third-party software might be conflicting with Time Machine. Try disabling or uninstalling any such software temporarily to see if it resolves the issue.
  11. Consult Apple Support: If none of the above steps work, consider contacting Apple Support or visiting an Apple Store for further assistance. They may be able to diagnose the issue more accurately.

If you have any queries, please let me know in the comment section.