Changed Win 7 to Win 10 - issues coming up

Some time ago, I updated my PC from Win 7 to 10. It’s a 64-bit version and all apps worked smoothly for a time. Then, few days ago, out of nowhere, I signed in my MS account and got this message:

• You’ve been signed in with a temporary profile.

Additionally, I got a stock image as my background theme and most icons were gone from the desktop. I tried checking the path of user, copy/paste files, and nothing worked so far. Can someone advice a remedy for this issue?

if you have not administrator account you can use built in administrator account
right click This PC>Manage>Local Users and Groups and right click on administrator and go to properties
uncheck account is disabled
Open CMD and type net user administrator /active :yes

then log off from current user and go to administrator user

in administrator user open CMD and type NET USER to check which users are in your PC
then type:
WMIC USERACCOUNT WHERE NAME=‘Here type your account name which wrote in previous command’ GET SID
copy your SID
open run windows and type regedit and in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE find PROFILELIST
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
in profile list find your SID: there will be 2 same SID but one will have renamed(this is your original user profile) for example name.bak-(you can check with location which is written in ProfileImagePath.
and second is temp profile.

delete SID without .bak it is temp profile and change rename SID with .bak and remove this end.

and restart your PC.

if you have any issue please coment

Hi @Winn,

I had this issue dozens of times with my users. This issue occurs when the default folder is corrupted in C:/users/Default . Please follow the below steps to resolve:

1. Login the PC with built-in adminstrator account
  2. Delete the temp user profile in C:\users\
  3. Delete the registry file for the temp user if available in the registry < HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList .>
  4. Goto c:\users and rename the default folder to something like default.old (note: you need to enable hidden files in the view to view this folder)
  5. This is the main step Copy the default folder (c:\users\default) from a good working computer and paste in the exact location (c:\users\default).
  6. Now restart your computer and login.

Hope the above steps helps

Try with these changes.

Method 1: Follow these steps and if the issue persists .

Step 1: Try to boot into safe mode and check if the issue persists. Refer the following link to boot the computer in safe mode

Step 2: If the issue does not occur in safe mode then, start the computer in clean boot to check if any third party program is causing the issue. To configure your computer to clean boot refer the following link.

Note : After you have finished troubleshooting, follow step 7 in the article to boot to normal startup.

Method 2: If the issue persists then, follow these steps and check if that helps.

Note: Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

Refer the following link to backup the registry.

Step 1: Delete the profile by using the Computer Properties dialog box.

a) Click on ‘Start’ , right-click ‘Computer’ , and then click ‘Properties’ .

b) Click ‘Change settings’ .

c) In the ‘System Properties’ dialog box, click the ‘Advanced’ tab.

d) In the ‘User Profiles’ area, click ‘Settings’ .

e) In the ‘User Profiles’ dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, click ‘Delete’ , and then click ‘OK’ .

Step 2: Follow these steps and check for the issue.

a) Click on ‘Start’ and type ‘regedit’ in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b) Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

c) Under the ‘ProfileList’ subkey, delete the subkey that is named ‘SID.bak’ .

Note : SID is a placeholder for the security identifier (SID) of the user account that is experiencing the problem. The SID.bak subkey should contain a ProfileImagePath registry entry that points to the original profile folder of the user account that is experiencing the problem.

d) Exit ‘Registry Editor’ .

e) Log off the system.

f) Log on to the system again and check if the issue persists.

Hey there!
Enter to this link, it might help