How to delete a user account properly in Windows 10?

Hi,

This must be a most stupid question but I have ask anyhow. I manage a small company where we have around 100s of computers and all of them in Windows 10. We do not have any policy so users can login to any PC they want (I cannot explain you why).

Above practice is causing multiple users accounts in the PC which was literally used by some users. So, now I am looking for a way to properly remove users accounts from the PC which wasn’t in use. But I don’t want to ended up on any problem. I hear deleting user account in properly in Windows 10 create a temp profile for the same user account when the login next time.

So, what is the best option to delete a user account in Windows 10 Properly.

Thanks
BA

2 Likes

As you have mentioned this is a small company I hope you are having domain in your environment because Windows has a Group Policy setting which let you easily delete a user account if it was not logged in for the specific date you mention. If you are not having a domain in your environment than you need to do this manually on every PC which need to delete the users acounts.

GPO: Delete User Profiles Older Than a Specified Number Days

Type this gpedit.msc in search and open built-in Group Policy editor.

Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> User Profiles
You can find the policy Delete user profiles older than a specified number days on system restart in the GPO section

Enable the policy and specify the number of days a user profile is considered active. When this period is over, Windows user profile service will automatically delete the profile at the next restart. It is recommended to specify the period of 45-90 days. For demo purpose I am mentioned 90 day.

This is the one of the best way you can remove the user account from the Windows 10 computer automatically.

I hope this helps

5 Likes

Step 1: Open advanced system properties.

Press Windows logo+Pause Break keys, then click Advanced System Settings in the left pane.

Step 2: In System Properties window, select Advanced tab, and click Settings under User Profiles .

Step 3: Select the profile of the user account , click Delete button.

Step 4: Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove all information associated with your user account.

A new profile for the user’s account will be automatically created the next time that user signs in.

2 Likes