How to disable Tablet mode on Windows 10? In easy ways

Hello guys,

My manager wants me to disable tablet mode on his laptop. I am not sure why but I don’t care now I just need to do what I have told. So, I am looking for the best option probably any group policy editing or registry option to disable tablet mode automatically.

I found the above option in the action center by clicking on the Tablet mode it turns ON and OFF. But this is a manually process. Now I need to disable this button.

Thanks

8 Likes

Enable / Disable Tablet Mode from Registry Settings (Advanced Users Only):

You can enable or disable the Tablet Mode feature using windows registry editor. Please follow the below steps to achieve this:

• Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
  • Type regedit and hit Enter.
  • In registry editor, Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion >ImmersiveShell.
  • When you select Immersiveshell, You will see a DWORD/entry type option named “ Tablet Mode “.
  • To turn off tablet mode, Set its value to 0. To turn on, Set the value to 1. Then, Restart your PC.

Thanks

4 Likes

Registry editing as mentioned by @tjnihal is the only way to disable the tablet mode through a script or what you are saying automatically on the Windows 10 device. I don’t seeing there is a group policy object to control the tablet mode option.

1 Like

Here are the detailed steps to disable Tablet Mode on a Windows 10 device using the Windows Registry Editor:

• Open the Run Dialog Box: Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard. This will open the Run dialog box.

• Open the Registry Editor: Type Regedit in the Run dialog box and hit Enter. This will open the Registry Editor. If prompted by User Account Control, click Yes to allow the Registry Editor to change your device.

• Navigate to the Tablet Mode Registry Key: In the left pane of Registry Editor, open the given key: HKEY_CURRENT_User > SOFTWARE >Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion >ImmersiveShell and proceed.

• Modify the Tablet Mode Value: When you select ImmersiveShell, you will see a DWORD/entry type option named Tablet Mode. Double-click on Tablet Mode to open its properties. In the Value data field, set its value to 0 to disable Tablet Mode. Click OK to save your changes.

• Restart Your PC: Press the OK (Update) option and close the Registry Editor. Finally, restart your computer to implement the changes.

Note: The edited registry will likely result in irreversible system impacts, as it may involve changes brought by some programs or memory allocation. It is better to devise an event of system restore point from where the registry will be made before effecting the changes. In addition, this written permission to act is needed.

If you desire to reenact Tablet Mode, you can follow the steps, but in step 4, the value data field is set to 1.