How to enable Sandbox in Windows 10 Pro?

Hi,

I have just upgraded my Windows 10 PC to the 2004 version. Now I want to text the Window Sandbox feature which is Microsoft highly recommend and keep improving on all of its upcoming version. This is my personal laptop which has 8GB of RAM and i3 6th Gen processor.

I hope the Windows Sandbox is not something like the virtual box because virtual box or Hyper-V need to assigned separate RAM and HDD which impact the host performance.

Thanks

6 Likes

Before enabling Windows Sandbox in your device you need to make sure virtualization is enabled on your device. Please follow the below process to confirm the enable of virtualization feature.

Enabling virtualization

To confirm your device supports hardware virtualization and the feature is enabled in the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware use these steps:

1. Open Start .
  2. Search for Command Prompt and click the top result.
  3. Type the following command and press Enter : systeminfo.exe
  4. Under the “Hyper-V Requirements” section, if “Virtualization Enabled In Firmware” reads Yes , then you can use Windows Sandbox.!

or Simply type msinfo32 in the search and open system information tool and confirm the below:

In my device the virtualization is disabled, to enable I’ll need to start my device in its BIOS or UEFI firmware and enable the feature. This process typically requires hitting one of the function keys (F1, F2, F3, F10, or F12), the ESC, or Delete key as soon as you start your computer. However, these settings will vary by manufacturer, and even by computer model. So make sure to check your device manufacturer’s support website for more specific instructions.

Enabling Windows Sandbox

To enable Windows Sandbox on Windows 10 version 1903 or later, use these steps:

1. Open Start .
  2. Search for Turn Windows features on or off , and click the top result to open the Windows Features experience.
  3. Check the Windows Sandbox option.
  4. Click the OK button.
  5. Click the Restart now button.

After completing the steps, you can start using the new virtualization layer to temporarily install and test untrusted applications.

Refer this post for more information:

4 Likes

Enable Windows Sandbox

Now you need to actually add the Sandbox as a Windows feature. Open Control Panel in icon view and select the applet for Programs and Features. Click the link to Turn Windows features on or off.

In the Windows Features window, scroll down the list until you see a checkbox for Windows Sandbox. Check the box and click OK. After Sandbox is installed, you’re prompted to restart. Reboot your PC and sign back in.

1 Like