Experiencing a blue screen displaying “igdkmd64.sys” on your Windows 10? This frequent error stems from a problematic or old Intel graphics driver. Thankfully, several methods can address this issue and get your computer running smoothly again.
Method 1: Refresh Your Intel Graphics Driver
The igdkmd64.sys error often arises due to an old or mismatched Intel graphics driver. Keep it updated:
Manually: Head over to Intel’s official site, find the right driver for your device, and then install it. However, ensure you select the proper driver to avoid complications.
Automatically: Utilize a trustworthy driver updater like Driver Easy. Here’s a quick guide:
- Install Driver Easy.
- Launch it and select Scan Now.
- Choose Update All to automatically address any outdated or missing drivers. The Pro version might be required.
- Reboot your computer and see if the error’s gone.
Method 2: Turn Off Your Intel Graphics
Another method is disabling the Intel graphics via Device Manager. It’s a potential short-term solution:
- Reboot your PC and consistently press F8 to access Advanced Boot Options.
- Opt for Safe Mode with Networking.
- In Safe Mode, press Windows + R, type “devmgmt.msc”, and proceed.
- Navigate to Display adapters, right-click the Intel graphics, and choose Disable.
- Restart and check for the error.
Method 3: System Restore
If other solutions prove ineffective, consider a system restore to take your computer back to a stable point:
- Reboot and press F8 for the Advanced Boot Options.
- Choose Repair Your Computer to access the Windows Recovery Environment.
- Select your preferred language and keyboard layout.
- Input your credentials.
- Initiate System Restore, and pick a point before the error surfaced. Restart once done.
The igdkmd64.sys error is common among Windows 10 Intel graphics users. Its main culprit is typically the driver, but other factors might induce it. To mitigate it, update the driver, deactivate the device, or execute a system restore. If these don’t rectify the problem, consider expert assistance.