Microsoft Edge Browser. What is the difference between the new and the old one?

Hi, Pros,

Last week I got a notification to install the new Microsoft Edge which is now released publicly. But I wasn’t sure we can install it yet? or wait for some more time. As we have already used Microsoft Edge the older one I don’t know why we have to install the new Microsoft additionally to the PC.

Before installing it to the PC I would like to know what is the difference between the New and the Old Microsoft Edge Browser?

If I install the New Microsoft Edge Browser what happens to the older version?

Why would any use Microsoft Edge a new version over the older version? Means Why Microsoft is replacing it?

Thanks

3 Likes

The new Microsoft Edge is based on the Chromium open-source project. Chromium forms the basis of Google Chrome, so the new Edge feels very similar to Google Chrome. It includes features found in Chrome, supports Chrome browser extensions, and has the same rendering engine as Google Chrome.

The old Edge will remain installed for compatibility reasons, but Windows will hide it. You can tell you’re using the new Edge because it has a new logo. It’s a blue-and-green swirl rather than simply a blue “e”, as the old Edge was.

2 Likes

This new Microsoft’s new Chromium-based Edge browser is available for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, macOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android. Microsoft will even release a version of it for Linux in the future. Chrome already supports all these platforms, so that makes porting the new Edge much simpler for Microsoft.

Even though Edge is based on the same underlying code as Google Chrome, many Google websites will still show popups recommending you switch to Chrome. For example, when you visit Google News in Microsoft Edge, you’ll see a message saying Google recommends Chrome, encouraging you to “try a fast, secure browser with updates built in.”

Microsoft is recommending Chrome users switch to Edge, too. For example, Bing encourages Chrome users to download Edge. Windows 10’s Settings app says the new Edge is “recommended for Windows 10” when you’re choosing your default web browser, too.

1 Like

In simple words the new chromium based Microsoft Edge is more faster and compatible comparing to the older version of Microsoft Edge. Sooner or later Microsoft will remove the old (legacy) version of Microsoft Edge in the upcoming version of Windows 10 and you will be forced to move to the new version of Microsoft Edge.