Move file server 2008 to the server 2016

How can I move file server 2008 to the server 2016, and in the same time move all the security rights and permissions with it? I’m using a separate storage MSA 2040, but thinking about upgrading OS on the server. Is this possible? Are there detailed step-by-step guides on this?

Hi Hector

Please go through the information guide. I hope it helps you.

Hello @Hector

You could use FSMT or Robocopy to migrate share folder/file to another server. Both could keep NTFS permission.

Here is Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit to migrate all the server shared folder from the OLD server to the NEW server.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10268

how to use robocopy

1 Like

Hi @Hector,

As @VIkasmadan you can use RoboCopy to move files from one place to another place. Please use the below command it will mirror the source directory to destination directory.

$Source = "locationAddress"
$Destination = "locationAddress"
$filename = "ReferenceName_log_$(get-date -format 'M-d-yyyy')" 

robocopy $source $Destination /mir /R:10 /W:10 /mt:20 /log+:E:\Backup_Logs\$filename.txt

# The /MIR option (equivalent to /E /PURGE) stands for "mirror" and is the most important option. It regards your source folder as the "master", causing it to overwrite any changes on the target side, which is a useful setting for a backup.
 # /R:10 specifies the number of retries, if the connection should fail, and /W:10 specifies a wait time of 10 seconds between retries. These are useful options when doing the backup over a network.
 # /W:10 Specifies the wait time between retries, in seconds. The default value of N is 30 (wait time 30 seconds).
 # /mt:4 Creates multi-threaded copies with N threads. N must be an integer between 1 and 128. The default value for N is 8.
 # /log Writes the status output to the log file (overwrites the existing log file).

Hope this helps

1 Like