Netword drives issue After upgrading Windows 10

Hello

One of my neighbors, he had this issue where after upgrading windows 10 from 1909 to 2004, it loses the network drive and can’t reconnect. 53 network path not found. he can’t navigate to the file share server by IP, hostname, or FQDN, but he can ping the server IP, hostname, and FQDN and get a response.

He has been working on this the past three days, unfortunately, it’s a business computer and he hasn’t been able to replicate this elsewhere. Resorting to upgrading and testing after hours then revert to 1909 before the next morning. So far, he scoured the internet looking for answers and it appears this has been happening to people since at least 2018 so there’s a boatload of answers, from post to post, you can see they work for some and not others.

He tried most of them without any luck, from registry hacks to group policy changes, dism restore health, to advanced sharing settings. Before he went deep he found domain-joined computers didn’t have the option to turn off/on protected password sharing and thought it was a new feature in 2004, couldn’t have been that simple.

He has gone back and got some information from the same system, 1909.

Export windows services and status

Export windows enabled windows features

Export Registry

Export firewall settings

Then upgraded and did the same thing.

Services missing after upgrade:

CDPUserSvc_249448

CDPUserSvc_db2036f

OneSyncSvc_249448

OneSyncSvc_db2036f

WinRM

WpnUserService_249448

WpnUserService_db2036f

Services new after upgrade

CDPUserSvc_1148cad

OneSyncSvc_1148cad

StorSvc

winmgmt

WpnUserService_1148cad

Windows Features removed after upgrade:

FaxServicesClientPackage

Microsoft-Windows-Client-EmbeddedExp-Package

Microsoft-Windows-NetFx3-OC-Package

Microsoft-Windows-NetFx3-WCF-OC-Package

Microsoft-Windows-NetFx4-US-OC-Package

Microsoft-Windows-NetFx4-WCF-US-OC-Package

No new features added after the upgrade

There is a whole Chemistry textbook full of registry changes which he expected and don’t think he’ll be touching for now, but he thinks he needs to add back the windows features before he continue.

Neither start /w pkgmgr /iu:featurename nor Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName “featurename” works

So I guess I have two questions:

Has anyone successfully enabled these features in 2004? please share how you did it

Has anyone successfully fixed ‘error 53 network path not found’ in the past 2-3 months in the same scenario (1909 to 2004 upgrade)? I’m interested in seeing how you did it.

Thanks, guys