Office 365 Outlook asking to Save NormalEmail while closing

We are a domain environment from the last week we started to received this Pop up in outlook it only appears at the time of closing Outlook, not at the opening.

Also, this pop up appears only for the New user profile created from the last 2 weeks. I created approximately 10 new users profiles everyone reporting the same issues.

User profile created before last 1 likes for the else 50 users this behavior not happening.

2 Likes

here is the solution for it:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/outlook-2019-prompts-to-save-normalemaildotm-every/b93f7e8d-3246-4692-9ca2-ca279ab8f037

Hello,
I installed Office 2019 with admin account privileges (of course), but then I use a different standard account for launching Office applications. I think as a standard user, both Outlook and Word were looking for normalemail/normal.dotm in the location %appdata%/Microsoft/Templates, but neither file was there. So every time I closed Outlook or Word - it prompted to save the template - except it prompted to save in my Documents folder - not the %appdata%/Microsoft/Templates folder.

Once I figured this out, I let them save each in the standard user Templates folder ā€¦ and now they no longer prompt to save each time they are closed.

Hi @RafathR,

Are you using any GPO setting to set any word or outlook template?. Make sure you or your team are not using any GPO for publishing templates or confirm they are following the proper location and policy to use that.

1 Like

Hi @tjnihal,

Thanks for the reply I just confirmed with the team it seems we are using GPO to deploy word template to certain team. I have asked to check move one of the effected user to the other team and see if he again gets the same error.

Thanks

1 Like

Understanding the Issue with ā€˜NormalEmail.dotmā€™ in Outlook:

The ā€˜NormalEmail.dotmā€™ file is a template file used by Outlook for formatting emails. When Outlook prompts to save changes to this file upon closing, it typically means that there have been changes or perceived changes to the default email template.

Possible Causes and Solutions for the error: NormalEmail.dotm

1. Template File Location and Accessibility:

• Ensure that ā€˜NormalEmail.dotmā€™ is located in the correct directory. It should be in the userā€™s AppData folder under Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.
    • If using Group Policy Object (GPO) to deploy templates, verify that the GPO settings are correctly pointing to the accessible and correct location.
    • Create a new folder in the above location and name it ā€œTemplatesā€ if not available.
  2. Permissions Issue:

• Check if the new user profiles have the necessary permissions to access and modify the ā€˜NormalEmail.dotmā€™ file. Lack of proper permissions could lead to Outlook thinking changes have been made, as it canā€™t access the file properly.
  3. Add-ins Interference:

• Outlook add-ins might be modifying the template unknowingly. Try disabling all add-ins and see if the problem persists. If it resolves, enable add-ins one by one to identify the culprit.
  4. Corrupted Template File:

• The ā€˜NormalEmail.dotmā€™ file might be corrupted. Try renaming or deleting it, and Outlook will create a new default template upon restart. This can often resolve issues related to template corruption.
  5. Outlook Profile Issues:

• Since the issue is only happening with new profiles, there might be a problem with how these profiles are being set up. Consider recreating a profile to see if it resolves the issue.
  6. Check for Updates:

• Make sure Outlook and Office 365 are up to date. Sometimes, bugs related to templates are fixed in updates.
  7. Registry Edit (Advanced):

• If youā€™re comfortable with editing the registry, you can look into the registry settings for Outlook templates. However, this should be done cautiously as incorrect changes can affect system stability.

Testing and Monitoring:

After implementing these solutions, monitor the behavior of Outlook on the affected profiles. If the problem persists, detailed logging and further analysis might be required, possibly involving Microsoft support if it seems to be an issue with the software itself.

By addressing these potential causes, you should be able to resolve the issue with ā€˜NormalEmail.dotmā€™ in Outlook for the new user profiles.