Password not working in Windows 10 Safe Mode

One of my work computers at the office won’t boot into Safe Mode. It just keeps saying incorrect password. I know the password is correct for two reasons, firstly I have logged in normally using my pin and changed the password hoping this might solve the issue, also if I try to get into command prompt from troubleshooting boot, it asks for the password of the account and accepts it no problem.

The reason I want to get into safe mode is to perform a deep anti-virus scan, I don’t suspect I have a virus but I like to scan every 6 months in safe-mode for peace of mind. The administrator account in the safe mode has limited access to the file system.

I am suspect the problem is internet access in safe mode, Is there a way to flush the password cache so that it will accept my password offline?

5 Likes

Dear @Abraham5310,

Can you please explain how you are connecting to safe mode? are you sure you are using the right password mean you account password not the 4 digit pin you are typing?

3 Likes

At the sign in screen:
Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen.
Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart.
Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears.
Click Troubleshoot
Click Advanced options
Click Startup Settings
Click Restart
Press (4) to Enable Safe Mode
Wait while Windows 10 starts in safe mode.

3 Likes

Login your to your as normal and change the password by pressing ctrl+alt+delete and select change the password option. Once the password has been changed restart your PC and now try to login safe mode.

1 Like