What are the maintenance steps do you run on your servers?

Hi,

Recently we installed our first server rack in our office. Now it has filled up with servers and networking equipment. Its been 6 weeks slowly it has started to collected dust due to heavy exhaust fans.

So, my questions is what are the maintenance steps do you performance on your Server racks and with its equipment? Just interesting to know.

1 Like

Hi @AnthonyD,

Very good question thanks for asking.

I have a daily routine task to monitor all the device dashboards, notifications etc.

I have a routine task once in a month to check all the device means as follows:

• Check the cable of the Device (LAN and Power)
  • Check the LEDs of the Device (sometimes you are not notified by the software or you misses to see.
  • Check for the updates if anything available by the manufacturer

I have a biannual task (or as per required) to perform cleanup of all the device dust in the racks. Where I work has no proper room for the server rack so it quickly stores all the dust and debris inside the devices and racks.

At present this is what I think of I will update the post If I remember anything more.

1 Like

Hello @AnthonyD
follow a regular maintenance schedule to keep your Server Rack clean.
Make a task list as suggested by @tjnihal for cleaning rack

1. Wipe server surfaces with damp wipes that contain approved antistatic cleaning chemicals
  2. Make sure you also clean support equipment and rack tops.
  3. Never use water when cleaning a server rack
  4. Antistatic cleaning chemicals should also be used with microfiber and heat resistant cloths.
2 Likes

A solid server maintenance plan generally requires several steps, including:

• checking server log files
  • assessing hard disk space
  • examining folder permissions
  • monitoring network temperature applications
  • ensuring adequate redundancy of systems
  • examining security features
  • installing security software patches
  • reading server logs for security alerts or evidence of computer hacking attempts
  • updating antivirus software on all computers on the network
  • updating critical service packs and software updates
  • performing regular comprehensive back-ups to ensure that vital data can be retrieved from storage in the event of a system failure