What is Credential Guard in Windows 10 and How is work?

Hi,

I was reading about Windows 10 feature in the list I found Credential Guard but I never heard anything about this feature before. I am using Windows 10 Pro from version 1509 to till 1909 but not one time my path crossed this feature.

I think credential guard is not available for Windows 10 Pro version? or Do we need to do something like group policy edit or registry edit to activate on the PC?

Looking to discuss about this feature

Thanks
Reg

4 Likes

I hope this answer your question. Credential Guard uses virtualization-based security to isolate secrets so that only privileged system software can access them. Unauthorized access to these secrets can lead to credential theft attacks, such as Pass-the-Hash or Pass-The-Ticket. Credential Guard prevents these attacks by protecting NTLM password hashes and Kerberos Ticket Granting Tickets.

Credential Guard offers the following features and solutions:

• Hardware security Credential Guard increases the security of derived domain credentials by taking advantage of platform security features including, Secure Boot and virtualization.
  • Virtualization-based security Windows services that manage derived domain credentials and other secrets run in a protected environment that is isolated from the running operating system.
  • Better protection against advanced persistent threats Securing derived domain credentials using the virtualization-based security blocks the credential theft attack techniques and tools used in many targeted attacks. Malware running in the operating system with administrative privileges cannot extract secrets that are protected by virtualization-based security. While Credential Guard is a powerful mitigation, persistent threat attacks will likely shift to new attack techniques and you should also incorporate Device Guard and other security strategies and architectures.
  • Manageability You can manage Credential Guard by using Group Policy, WMI, from a command prompt, and Windows PowerShell.
1 Like

Hi @Reginald, You have got a clear explanation on Windows 10 Credential Guard but one thing to note is this feature is available only for Windows 10 Enterprise and Education. :slightly_smiling_face: