Windows 10 An unexpected I/O error has occurred in BIOS screen

Hello,

I am getting this error message which briefly flashes the Windows loading screen. I have been able to confirm through the Windows RE Command Line and the dir command that the C: drive is accessible and likely is just suffering a bootup issue.

0xc00000e9-windows-error

I have tried:

• Launching the repair process discussed in the error message three times, however each time it requires a restart and then returns to the same error message.
  • Changing the boot order to be hard drive first
  • Getting into safe mode: safe mode results in same error message
  • I have checked to make sure the BCD (bcdedit, Boot Configuration Data) is still intact

I plan to try (but would like additional comments on):

• sfc /scannow; requires a restart and thus will likely result in the error message again
  • A memory scan
  • Swapping IDE cables/ports
  • Resetting the BIOS

I noticed others with similar issues around the web are dual-booting however, this machine is not setup in a dual-boot environment. Additionally, at one point this error message supposedly showed up before I started working on the computer

The instruction at 0xfbe2584d referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be read.

As previously stated, any additional suggestions or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi,

This error message: An unexpected I/O error has occurred. Status: ( 0Xc00000e9 ) is a hardware error pertaining to your system’s BIOS. Basically it is telling you that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard drive.

Method 1:
Step 1:
I would suggest you to run the Automatic Repair Tool from Windows Recovery and check.

a) Boot from the disk, Once you get the welcome screen of installation with the option “Install now”
b) Click on Repair your computer
c) On the next page click on Advanced Options
d) Now click on Troubleshoot
e) Lastly click on Automatic repair and follow the on screen instructions.

Step 2: I would suggest you to run sfc/scan and check.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. When the scan is complete, the System File Checker tool indicates whether integrity violations were found. If integrity violations are found, the System File Checker tool lets you fix the integrity violations.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files - Microsoft Support

Method 2: I would suggest you to rebuilt BCD. To do this, follow these steps:

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

a) Boot from the disk, Once you get the welcome screen of installation with the option “Install now”
b) Click on Repair your computer
c) On the next page click on Advanced Options
c. Click on Troubleshoot and then select Advanced Options .
d. Click on Command prompt and type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /rebuildbcd

e. Restart the computer.

1 Like

Hello @Carson
I hope this link would help you to solve your problem.
http://www.errorlive.com/error-code-0xc00000e9

You appear to be encountering an error message during Windows startup and have tried several troubleshooting steps. Let’s try additional solutions to address the issue:

Optimize Virtual Memory:

Virtual memory (pagefile.sys) helps manage memory demands. Adjust it to resolve the error potentially.

• Press Win + E to open File Explorer.
  • Right-click on This PC and select Properties.
  • Go to the Advanced system settings.
  • Under the Advanced tab, click Settings in the Performance section.
  • In the Virtual memory box, click Change.
  • Select the target drive and choose Custom size.
  • Enter your current available physical RAM in MB values.
  • Click OK to save the changes.

Repair Corrupted System Files:

Corrupted system files can cause this error. Run the following commands in an ## elevated Command Prompt:

• sfc /scannow (system file checker),
  • Try dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Scan for Malware:

Malware can affect system stability. Use reliable antivirus software to scan your system thoroughly.

Perform a Clean Boot and Reinstall the .NET Framework:

A clean boot helps identify conflicting third-party software.
Reinstall the latest version of .NET Framework from MicrosMicrosoft’sial download website.

Reset This PC:

As a last resort, consider resetting your PC to its default state.
Remember to back up important data before attempting any significant changes.

If the issue persists, consider seeking professional assistance.