Hi! I got a Windows 10 update error code 80240020 on my computer. I got it as an upgrade from Win 8.1 and the code reads really long (amongst other errors, I have KB3055343, and similar codes like that). I got it while doing the update from the control panel. How do I get this thing fixed so I can install Win 10?
Pardon me, your question is unclear to me. Are you trying to update your windows 8.1 OS before upgrading to windows 10 OS? or you are getting this error code on windows 10 OS?
- Go into C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete everything in that folder.
- Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in wuauclt.exe /updatenow
- Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch
This worked for me after the update tried to install but failed, and I got error message 80240020. I was upgrading from Win 7 Pro through the reserved copy showing in my taskbar. I found it by searching google for the error message and then on a reddit subpage.
The Reddit page says:
"What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
- Go into “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” and delete everything in that folder.
- Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in “wuauclt.exe /updatenow”.
- Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time."