Windows 10 version 1809 Upgrade failure - error 0x80070032

Hi all,

I am kinda lost and looking for the right direction. I am upgrading the Windows 10 Enterprise version 1809 to 1909 in my company. I have about 100 PCs that need to be upgraded. We are pushing the updates through Ivanti. The success rate for example, if I push out to 10 machines, 3-5 may fail with the same error. Using the SetupDiag tool, this is the error I receive almost 99% of the time:

Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure.
Last Operation: Finalize
Error: 0x80070032 - 0x50015
CSetupPlatform::Initialize: Disk provisioning is not available; hr = 0x80070032

The only other info that matches this in setuperr.log is:

DU::CDUSession::BuildSearchCriteria: Caller profile search criterion is not supported. hr = 0x80070032
Error DU DU::CDUSession::Search: Failed to build the search criteria. hr = 0x80070032

The only information I’ve found officially from the not so helpful Microsoft’s Docs is:

0x00000032 | The request is not supported.

Thanks

3 Likes

Type each of the following then hit Enter

Run these codes:
Net Stop bits
Net Stop wuauserv
Net Stop appidsvc
Net Stop cryptsvc
Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
Net Start bits
Net Start wuauserv
Net Start appidsvc
Net Start cryptsvc

After running these commands, check if your issue is fixed.

2 Likes
  1. Restart your computer.

Next thing is to clean the Windows Update download path. These steps are only for experienced users! If you mess up your computer with regedit, you could lose your files! Take care or use a professional tool to investigate your computer.

1. Hold your windows-key pressed and hit “R” key simultaneous.

2. A small new window will appear.

3. Type regedit in these new windows and hit Enter.

4. In the new windows, you have navigation on the left side. Use it to navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

5. Once you found it, search for WUServer and WIStatusServer in the right-hand pane.

6. If they are not listed we cannot clean the download path. Otherwise, delete both.

7. Restart your computer.

1 Like

Run DISM command:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, right click the Windows button, and then select Command Prompt (Admin). If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow or Yes .
  2. Type the following command, and then press Enter .
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Note: It might take several minutes for the command operation to be completed.

1 Like