WordPress Error: There has been a critical error on your website

Hi,

I was due for the latest version of the WordPress version. So, today I decided to upgrade my WordPress to the latest available version 5.4.2. I assume the update went successful but now I am getting the following error when I visit my website.

“Fatal error: Class ‘WP_Widget’ not found in /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/akismet/class.akismet-widget.php on line 5”

There has been a critical error on your website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.

I have tried renaming plugins but I still wasn’t able to access the dashboard of my WordPress blog.

Any help is appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi @Banning,

Most of the errors like yours are logged. Please check the error log on your server. If you can’t find the log, please contact your host for the help. Please try to disable all plugins, and use one of the default (Twenty*) themes. If the problem goes away, enable them one by one to identify the source of your troubles.

2 Likes

@Banning, I would suggest to debug mode on for your website to get the exact issue. By turning on debugging mode it will help you what is exactly causing this error. Once you turn the debug mode on you would get the details which file is causing for the error There has been a critical error on your website.