Your computer trusted platform module has malfunctioned. error code 80090016

Hi,

All of sudden one of my user facing this issue while logging to any of the office product application like Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint, Visual Studio etc.,. All of the application are refusing to sign in with the error: Something went wrong. Your computer trusted platform module has malfunctioned. If this error persists, contact your system administrator with error code 80090016.

I search on the google and followed the below troubleshooting steps:

1. Deleted the user profile and created new one
  2. Disconnected from domain and rejoined again
  3. Perform network reset
  4. Performed system restore but failed

but none of the above issue resolved this issue. But to be curious when I login with another account on the same PC. I am not getting any of this error.

Now my only option is to reset the Windows 10 OS but I don’t want to do it because I have 20+ application running on that PC which need to be installed again and that is a lots of work for me.

Please help

1 Like

Solutions 1:

This receive trusted platform module has malfunctioned error code 80090016 error ir your computer’s trusted platform module has malfunctioned which means your Windows 10 device is not able to store some of the Microsoft credential on your credential manager. You can simply solve this error in two ways. Most of the time this error will disappear by removing all the credentials from the credential manager related to Office 365 applications. In some rare cast you
may have to perform the second solution given here.

Remove Office 365 or Microsoft 365 application credential in Credential manager:

1. Type Credential Manager on the search bar as shown in the below image:

2. Remove all the credential related to Office 365 or Microsoft 365 Applications: As you can see in the below image you will see a lots of credential related to office 365 or Microsoft Office 365 application.

Select each credential and remove them all.

3. Now restart your PC and try login again with your Microsoft credential.

Solutions 2:

Created Protection Policy registry key:

1. Open Registry Editor by pressing ctrl+r on your keyboard and type Regedit.msc

2. Go to the below location on the registry editor:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Protect\Providers\df9d8cd0-1501-11d1-8c7a-00c04fc297eb

1. Create a new registry key:Right click on the registry editor and select New\ DWORD (32-bit) Value

Give the name and value as below:ProtectionPolicy"=dword:00000001

2. Now close the registry editor and try to login any of your effected Office 365 Applications.

2 Likes

The solutions provided by @tjnihal is very useful but in my case, none of that solution helped me fix the error “your computer’s trusted platform module has malfunctioned”.

Following is my suggestion to fix the error “your computer’s trusted platform module has malfunctioned” in Windows 10 device.

Solution 1: Run the Windows Troubleshooter

Firstly, the inbuilt troubleshooter on Windows may be able to detect and resolve common errors on the system. To do this, follow these steps:

• From the start menu, click on settings or the Windows key and I.
  • Go to “Update & Security” and find “Troubleshoot.” annotation:
  • Click on Additional Troubleshooters in the right pane.
  • Click windows update and run the troubleshooter.
  • The troubleshooter will scan your windows update and correct any arising issues following the screens directions.
  • Reboot your computer then check your error code 080090016 is cleared.

Solution 2: Update Your TPM Driver

The error code may also be due to an old or defective TPM driver. This is typically a software part included in a computer set up with security features to safeguard private data and credentials. To update your TPM driver, follow these steps:

• Open device manager → press windows key + x.
  • Add “Security Devices” and then click on “Trusted Platform Module” within the right menu.
  • Browse to Update Driver and select Search automatically for driver software.4
  • Allow Windows to locate and install new driver for the TPM device.
  • Shut down your computer and see if you no longer get an error code 80090016.

Solution 3: Clear Your TPM

If updating your TPM driver fails, you could consider clearing TPM which means starting over by reverting to a factory default state, thereby taking any existing TPM data with it. On the other hand, it could compromise some of your security measures, such as BitLocker encryption and Windows hello. Thus, prior to clearance of your TPM, ensure you have backed up for your recovery key and password. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open the Settings App by pressing the Windows key along with I.
  • Go to Update & Security → Recovery.
  • Then click restart now which is on the right pane under advanced startup.
  • On your computer, the blue screen will appear and display various options for you. Click on troubleshoot, select advanced options.
  • Go to click TPM-Configuration and TMP Clear.
  • When requested, use that key to recover access to your webmail.
  • Relaunch your system, does it still display error code 80090016?

Solution 4: Repair Your Office Installation

In some instances, this error code might come up due to an Office installation that is corrupt or damaged thus creating a barrier of access to your Microsoft account and preventing you use Office 365 applications. To repair your Office installation, follow these steps:

• Open the run dialog box by pressing Windows key + R.
  • Go to access Start, type in appwiz.cpl then enter.
  • Locate “Microsoft Office” among the installed programs, then click “Change”.
  • Click on “Repair” and you will have the options of Online Repair or Quick Repair that you can choose upon your taste.
  • Restart your computer after it has been repaired.
  • Ensure that the error code 80090016 has disappeared.