This upgrade path is not supported please close setup and re-launch from the root of the media or go back and pick a different installation choice

Hello, friends,

Got " This upgrade path is not supported please close setup and re-launch from the root of the media or go back and pick a different installation choice"

This-upgrade-path-is-not-supported.-Please-close-Setup-and-re-launch”

This type of message whenever we try to update them from windows 10 pro-1803 to 1903.

We have 10 to 15 dell pcs that all show this type of message. We also tried our best from ms downloading windows 10 website or downloading iso and preparing it on our pcs but no luck.

Waiting for solutions to the passage above we have to gain a couple of references to install prep. Exe file located under the sources folder of the iso, but the image that we have one of the downloaded has not contained this type of file.

So if there is any solution who encountered this and found a solution to this error spot?

3 Likes

Hi, @Carissa,

Welcome to the community,:bouquet:

I have come across this and This upgrade path is not supported. I had windows 7 Pro with MBR install on a UEFI motherboard. (not sure if this was an image one or not) I swapped the disk to a generic motherboard with UEFI and got the same problem. Whether you run from the sources folder or not. So I thought I would disable the UEFI on the generic motherboard, ie Boot and Storage, changed to legacy only. Upgrade goes through fine now.

Let me know if this worked out otherwise I will share other scenarios to solve this error.

Thanks

hello

I think you will help this. follow this link

https://www.askvg.com/fix-this-upgrade-path-is-not-supported-close-setup-and-re-launch-from-root-of-media-or-pick-different-installation-choice/

Hi @Carissa,

This error message appear while upgrading from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to Windows 10 is possible. I tried various things to fix the issue such as:

NOTE: Please follow this guide only if the upgrade path is possible. If your old Windows version is not supported for upgrading to the new Windows version, don’t use this method.

Now without wasting time lets start the tutorial:

1. Once you receive the error message, close Setup wizard.

2. Now go to Windows setup folder which you got after extracting or mounting ISO file and open Sources folder.

3. Now scroll down and you’ll find a file installprep.exe .

4. Double-click on the file and it’ll allow you to upgrade your old Windows version to the new Windows version without any problem.

I was successful in making this not possible upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 possible using this method.

Thanks

2 Likes

It’s possible there is some underlying corruption. You can try repairing by running;

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

note that not all issues can be repaired. It’s also possible the install media is corrupt. The cleaner / safer method is to stand up for the new instance of 2016, patch it fully, and migrate roles or applications over to it.

Also, make sure those devices are up to date before you initiating the Windows update.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Carissa,

How you are performing your Windows 10 upgrade? If you are using USB media or external drive, then make sure all the Windows 10 media files are located on the root drive. To avoid this type of error while performing the Windows 10 upgrade or fresh install always create a bootable drive. For the clear explanation, please follow the below article on how to create a Windows 10 bootable drive and perform Windows 10 upgrade.

Hope this help

This same error “This upgrade path is not supported please close setup and re-launch from the root of the media or go back and pick a different installation choice” can also appears on Windows 11 while upgrading your device to the new feature update.

Some of the additional troubleshooting steps to resolve this error in Windows 10/11:

1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
  2. Run installprep.exe from Sources folder
  3. Clean Install Windows 11/10